It is very important to package the item to be packed carefully, when sending it through courier. Items which are not carefully packaged using the right materials end up being damaged during the transportation.
Here is a step by step guide that helps me pack the items for international courier and ensure their safe delivery
- Choose a double walled cardboard box or wooden box. The box should be big enough to accommodate the item and should have enough gap on all the sides. Cardboard and wooden boxes for packing things for international courier are available in different sizes. Always choose a new box as used boxes tend to get damaged easily during transportation.
- Take a bubble wrap or any other protective material and wrap the item to be couriered and also place the protective materials inside the box to fill any loose gaps around the items. This protective wrapping helps to ensure the safety of the items during international courier and prevents the items moving excessively inside the box. Consider the mode of transport taken by the parcel, if the parcel is sent by air, provide enough space to accommodate the expansion of bubble wrap and other bubble products.
- Seal the edges of the box using a good quality tape. Ensure to tape all the edges with the tape to prevent damage.
- Delicate items or high value items can also be double boxed for added protection during transportation. Placing the cardboard box containing the item inside a bigger box is known as double boxing.
- Once the packaging is done, check the weight of the parcel. Most of the courier companies charge by weight.
- Remove all the previous addresses and details on the cardboard box, in case of using a second hand box for packaging.
- Now write the delivery address and other details on the parcel. Enquire the international courier company about their requirements regarding the address. Some companies give a barcode label to attach to the parcel. Stick two copies of the address and two copies of the barcode label for added security.
- The next step is to take the parcel to the preferred international courier company and pay the necessary fees and hand over the parcel.