Organization is big in offices, which is why things like metal filing cabinets are quite popular; they help with that. They help a lot. But simply having the right storage space won’t handle organization for you, you need to know how to handle organization.
Coming up with an organization system for your files isn’t easy, but it isn’t as difficult as you think. Sure, it needs effort, planning and time, but if you can’t handle that, why are you in a business, or at work? The key thing you need to remember about organizing is it’s a future investment, the time spent making sure everything’s in the right place means you’ll skip out on the time spent finding where the hell everything actually is.
So if you’re wondering how to make the most of those metal filing cabinets at your office, here are some tips to help you out.
- Keep it simple.
- Organization is a good thing, there’s no doubting that. But what’s that saying about too much of a good thing? Oh yeah, that too much is bad. Make your filing system as complex as it needs to be, no more, no less. Less means it actually won’t do much, if any, and too much means it’s just tacking more stress.
- Color coded for your convenience.
- Don’t hesitate to use several colors for you filing system. Color coordination can work wonders for organization, as assigning a color to a specific kind of file can cut down on search time.
- Don’t be cheap.
- Make sure that your filing cabinet is actually good. Sure, you bought metal filing cabinets, but are you sure that what you got is strong and up to standard? A filing cabinet isn’t just for show, you’re going to use it, so make sure that, beyond fitting the aesthetics of the room it can actually hold files and be easily accessed when needed.
- Safety first.
- For documents that contain sensitive information, you need to make sure they’re secure, but accessible when they’re needed. Things like bank account numbers, credit card numbers and stuff like that. If you feel that something is very useful but needed, photocopy it, then keep the originals someplace secure.